The City Council is a representative body of the local self-government of the city of Yaroslavl.
The 7th City Council was elected on September 10, 2017 fr om 19 single-member districts. The members of the 7th City Council are elected for 5 years.
The 7th City Council consists of non-full-time members, who do not receive salary fr om the city, except for the Head of the City Council.
The deputies belong to groups according to the location of their districts; the groups are based in the counselling offices of city district administrations, wh ere the deputies meet with the community.
The Yaroslavl City Council incorporates six permanent committees, which prepare and consider preliminary draft resolutions of the City Council, maintain control over implementation of the City Council resolutions, etc.
The City Council is a local government authority; it functions on a planned basis and it solves the most important and significant problems of the life of our city.
The City Council acts in accordance with the Regulations.
The City Council is authorized to exercise the following powers:
- adopt resolutions on city referendum initiative;
- adopt resolutions on organization of referendums, municipal elections;
- set the date of voting on a City Council member or the Mayor recall, changing the city of Yaroslavl borders, transformation of municipal districts;
- establish procedures for implementation of citizens’ law-making initiative;
- establish borders of the territory with territorial public self-government;
- establish procedures for incorporating territorial public self-government charter;
- establish procedures for organising and exercising territorial public self-government, terms and conditions of allocation of budget funds to it;
- set public hearings, public meetings as provided by this Charter;
- establish procedures for the organisation and holding of public hearings;
- establish procedures for arranging and holding public meetings, conferences, including the powers of such meetings that are organised for the purpose of discussing matters of local concern, provision of information to the public concerning activities of the city government and city officials;
- establish procedures for assigning and organising public opinion polls;
- decide on procedures for public opinion poll;
- elect and dismiss the Head of the City Council;
- establish and disband permanent or other City Council committees;
- approve the Regulations of the City Council;
- approve employment agreements with the First Deputy Mayors of the city, except in cases wh ere the work relationship with persons mentioned above occur after they have been hired on a competitive basis;
- exercise rights of legislative initiative in the Yaroslavl Region Duma (regional parliament) according to the Yaroslavl Region Charter, Yaroslavl Region legislation;
- determine official city symbols, awards, and honorary titles;
- approve, on the recommendation of the Mayor, the structure of the Mayor’s Office (City Hall);
- make decisions on establishing units acting as legal entities within the structure of the Mayor’s Office and approve their regulation;
– establish procedures for considering the draft of the city budget, approval and implementation of the city budget, performing control over its implementation, and approval of the budget implementation report;
- consider the draft of the city budget; perform control over its implementation;
- establish the Yaroslavl city control authority, approve its structure, staff numbers, operating procedures; appoint the Chairman, Deputy Chairman of the Yaroslavl city control authority;
- establish procedures for external audit of the yearly budget implementation report;
- grant local tax and duty privileges according to the tax legislation of the Russian Federation;
- establish procedures for additional usage of material resources and financial resources of the city budget in exercising some of the state powers;
– make decisions on implementation of rights to participate in exercising state powers, which are not delegated in accordance with the federal legislation, in the event that the possibility of exercising these powers is provided by federal legislation;
- establish city’s expenditure commitments;
- establish procedures for training, further training, and organisation of further education of the Mayor and members of the City Council;
- establish procedures for participation of the Mayor, a full-time member of the City Council, in the administration of commercial organisations in accordance with the federal and Yaroslavl Region legislation;
- set salaries and conditions of payment for the full-time members of the City Council, persons performing the duties of full-time members of the City Council, and the Mayor;
- establish procedures for reimbursing expenses incurred by non-full-time members of the City Council for performance of their duties as members;
- set salaries and conditions of payment, types of bonuses for the municipal officers and the procedures for their implementation in accordance with the federal and Yaroslavl Oblast legislation;
– set conditions of payment (system), procedure for establishing the salary funds for the city government employees and the Yaroslavl City Election Commission administration, who are not municipal officers, or municipal establishments’ employees;
– establish procedures for organisation of competitive selection for any municipal government position;
- establish the minimum municipal social standards and other standards of budget spending for the settlement of the matters of local concern;
- establish procedures disclosing information on the budget allocations to the budget investments into the municipal owned capital construction projects;
- establish procedures for determining the size of the part of the municipal unitary enterprises net profits, which should be transferred to the city budget;
- establish procedures for provision of municipal guarantees;
- establishment of liability for violation of municipal legal acts regarding regulation of the budget legal relations as prescribed by the federal legislation;
- limit emissions of the municipal securities;
- establish procedures for creation, placement, execution, and control over the fulfilment of the municipal orders in accordance with the federal and other types of legislation of the Russian Federation;
- establish public normative obligations;
– make decisions on granting subsidies from the city budget;
- set financial allowances and preferences for the selected groups of citizens and legal entities;
- determine forms of support given to the investment activities;
- approve complex programmes of the public utilities infrastructure systems development;
- approve investment programmes of the public utilities organizations aimed at the development of the utilities infrastructure;
- choose means of satisfying financial requirements of the public utilities organisations for the implementation of their investment programmes;
- set the mark-ups on the prices (fees) for the consumers of goods and services provided by the public utilities organizations;
- make decisions on organisation of the municipal lotteries by the city of Yaroslavl;
- determine the scope of property used to support the city government and the city government officials, municipal officers, municipal enterprises and establishments employees;
- establish procedures and conditions for privatisation of municipal property in accordance with the federal legislation;
- make decisions on establishment of inter-municipal economic societies in the form of limited liability and closed joint-stock companies;
- make decisions on the establishment of non-commercial organizations in the form of autonomous non-commercial organisations and funds, establish procedures of participation of the city representatives in the management bodies of the autonomous non-commercial organisations;
- approve general urban plan of the city;
- approve regulations on land tenure and development;
- set amounts of income per family member and costs of the taxable property owned by the family members in order to declare the citizens to be economically disadvantaged and accommodate them in the municipally owned residential property by the agreement of social rent;
- establish procedures for provision of residential property in specialised municipal housing stock;
- establish procedures for compensation of costs for housing and public utilities to selected groups of citizens from the city budget;
- establish procedures for subsidising purchase or construction of residential property;
- establish regulations on organisation and management of cultural and entertainment, sport and other types of events;
– establish procedures for organisation and management of municipal official sports and health events;
– establish procedures for giving support to the city’s sports teams, including supporting their preparation for regional competitions and their participation in such competitions;
- establish procedures for calculation and collection of charges for the use of the municipally owned water objects;
- establish regulations on the city territory improvement;
- establish regulations on keeping pets;
- make decisions on involving citizens in performing works, which are socially important for the city on the voluntary basis in order to settle matters of local concern in accordance with the federal legislation.
The City Council hears the Mayor and Mayor’s Office’s yearly progress reports, including the reports on the solution of the issues highlighted by the City Council.
The City Council may execute other powers given to the representative bodies of municipal units by the federal and Yaroslavl Region legislation, this Charter.
With the permission of the Mayor, the City Council may deal with the subjects, which belong to the sphere of the responsibility of the Mayor’s Office.
(Article 69 of the City of Yaroslavl Charter)